Padrão dos Descobrimentos is a monument on the northern bank of the Tagus River estuary, in the civil parish of Santa Maria de Belém, Lisbon. Located along the river where ships departed to explore and trade with India and the Orient, the monument celebrates the Portuguese Age of Discovery (or Age of Exploration) during the 15th and 16th centuries.
The Sanctuary of Christ the King (Portuguese: Santuário de Cristo Rei) is a Catholic monument and shrine dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ overlooking the city of Lisbon situated in Almada, in Portugal. It was inspired by the Christ the Redeemer statue of Rio de Janeiro, in Brazil, after the Cardinal Patriarch of Lisbon visited that monument. The project was inaugurated on 17 May 1959, while Portugal was ruled by the authoritarian President of the Council of Ministers António de Oliveira Salazar who gave his final permission for the project. The giant statue in cement was erected to express gratitude because the Portuguese were spared the effects of World War II.
This museum is housed in a group of buildings classified as national heritage - the Central Tejo or Lisbon power station. Besides the building itself, the main interest is the machinery used to supply electricity to the city of Lisbon in the first half of the 20C. It includes 19C dynamos and electric motors, steam engines, high-pressure boilers, hydraulic generators and other tools and equipment.
The Praça do Comércio is located in the city of Lisbon, Portugal. Situated near the Tagus river, the square is still commonly known as Terreiro do Paço, because it was the location of the Paços da Ribeira until it was destroyed by the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake.
Strategically built on the North bank of the Tagus River to the plan of Francisco de Arruda between 1514 and 1519, the Tower of Belém is one of the jewels of architecture from the reign of King D. Manuel. It combines a traditional mediaeval keep with a more recent bulwark housing a casemate to store the first devices designed to resist artillery fire. The Tower gradually lost its role as a defence system at the mouth of the Tagus River and after the Spanish occupation, its former ammunition depots were converted into dungeons. Noteworthy in the Tower’s four stories are the Governor’s Room, Kings’ Room, Audience Room and, finally, the Chapel with its typical 16th-century vaults.
The Ponte 25 de Abril suspension bridge is one of Lisbon’s most notable landmarks as it spans the River Tagus at the narrowest point. This massive bridge closely resembles that of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco and the date name remembers the Portuguese Carnation Revolution of 25 April 1974. The suspension bridge connects Lisbon, on the north bank, with the commuter districts of Alameda on the south bank. The bridge is a distinctive landmark of Lisbon and crossing the Ponte 25 de Abril bridge makes for a fantastic entrance to Lisbon.